Your home is one of your most important assets. Not only does it house valuable items, but precious memories. As such, you will want to do everything to ensure your home is well protected against expected, and unexpected, threats like fire. While a metal roof is by no means fireproof, it can absolutely boast the title fire resistant. Here’s why!
Fire Resistance Ratings
When it comes to the varying roofing materials, there are Class Systems in place that rate how fire-resistant they are. The material is tested with either the ASTM E108 or the UL 790 Fire Tests of Roof Coverings., which rate three fire-related qualities of a roofing material:
- Ability to resist the spread of fire into the attic (or cathedral ceiling) area
- Ability to resist flame spreading on the roof covering
- Ability to resist generating burning embers.
Once evaluated, the roof covering is given a rating: Class A, Class B, and Class C, with Class A being the most fire-resistant. Since metal roofing is designated with a Class A fire rating, it is one of the most non-combustible roofing materials, with the greatest strength to stand up to fires. While fire resistance should not be the only determining factor for getting a metal roof, it is an important consideration. This is especially true for homes in areas with a higher risk of wildfires.
Additional Benefits of Metal Roofs
Metal roofs come with a plethora of additional benefits! Including
- A Long Life Expectancy. Metal roofs can last anywhere from 40 to 70 years. Compare that to the traditional 10 to 20 years of asphalt shingles. An extra advantage to metal is that unlike some roofing materials, age does not reduce its fire resistance.
- Metal roofs are both energy efficient and sustainable. A metal roof can help homeowner’s save between 10 and 25% on their heating and cooling bills. On top of being 100% recyclable, they can also easily support the weight of solar panels and are perfect for creating systems to collect rainwater.
- Coming in a variety of colors and styles, the wide range of aesthetic options means there’s a metal roof to suit anyone’s personal taste.
Metal roofs offer superior fire resistance. Protecting a structure’s assets and keeping people safe. Are you considering retrofitting your building with metal panels? Contact our qualified team of professionals at 519-451-7663 or email@example.com.